How to Use 4G Calling
4G Calling, sometimes known as Voice over Long-Term Evolution (VoLTE), is when your calls are carried by your data package. When you make or receive a phone call, your phone will stay on 4G. That makes you can use data at high speeds even when you’re on a phone call. It keeps your phone on the 4G network, meaning you’ll connect more quickly and enjoy HD quality audio wherever 4G is available.
Any apps you’re using will also keep their full 4G functionality, and you can still download content, play a video, or do anything else that relies on data streaming. The big benefit is that your internet access does not slow down while you’re on a call – great if you are working on collaborative tasks or conference calling over the phone.
What are the benefits of using 4G Calling?
- Superfast speeds – the benefit of using 4G calling is that it will not impact your internet or 4G connection speed
- Easy switching – you can move seamlessly between 4G Calling and Wifi calling, so you can stay connected in more places than ever before
- Clearer calls – calls over the 4G network are extremely clear between compatible phones and are less likely to experience crackling or white noise on the line
- Wider coverage – it’s estimated that 4G will cover 95% of the UK by the end of 2020
To use 4G Calling you’ll need:
- To be in an area of 4G network coverage with a compatible phone (check EE here, O2 here and Vodafone here)
- A pay monthly contract
4G is not usually supported on pay-as-you-go handsets however it is a feature of most pay monthly or sharer plans
- A handset that meets the required specifications
Newer handsets are far more likely to be compatible, particularly if they are running the latest operating system update
What about costs and data allowance?
There is no additional cost for 4G Calling – it’s included in your pay monthly plan. Calls and texts come out of your allocated monthly allowances as normal. If you go beyond your allocated allowance – any additional data usage will be charged at standard rates.
How do I switch to 4G Calling?
For most phones, you don’t need to do anything. 4G Calling works automatically on all compatible Android and Windows phones that are running the latest software. For Apple iOS, any iPhone running iOS 10.2 or above will be set up automatically.
- For older versions of iOS you may need to take these steps to use 4G Calling.
- For iOS 9.2, go to the Settings app and click on ‘Mobile Data’ then Enable 4G.
- For iOS 9.3 onwards, you will need to go into the same menu and then toggle ‘Voice & Data’ to ‘On’.
For more helpful mobile hints and tips from GoodCall, sign up to our mailing list below.